Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 32

Thread: Some Dave Dicenso videos...

  1. #11
    Inactive Member CLWarunki's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 21st, 2004
    Posts
    1,475
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Heheheh, thanks Shedder.

    I am assuming that was to my question?

  2. #12
    Inactive Member McKenzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 28th, 2003
    Posts
    531
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yeah I like this alot. I do dig Dave with Hiromi and Finn a bit more than this but it is still real good. I picked up some stuff from a friend that had Dave with the Cro-Mags talk about WAY! different than Merrick, Finn or Hiromi. Some of it was a bit to HardCore for me. [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

    Dig

  3. #13
    Inactive Member GrooovePig's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 6th, 2004
    Posts
    163
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by CLWarunki:
    Could someone please confirm, once and for all, if Dave was Mike Portnoy's teacher at Berklee???

    <font color="#a62a2a"><font size="1">[ October 13, 2004 12:06 AM: Message edited by: CLWarunki ]</font></font>
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I know this should probably start a new thread, but....I just got the MD fest 2003 and was pretty dissapointed. In particuliar, given all the MD awards and hype with Portnoy, I guess I was expecting a lot more from his playing. Needless to say, I've seen cats in local wedding and party bands groove harder than he did on the Beatles cuts. The drumming on the Dream Theatre stuff just left me flat. Overly orchestrated arrangements with very Peart-ish predictable fills. This may be blasphemy to some but......

  4. #14
    Inactive Member Randy walker's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 18th, 2001
    Posts
    2,662
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I agree, I think Portnoy did an embarrassing job playing those Beatle tunes, sped up, rushed......Bissonette does a MUCH better job of recreating the Beatles grooves.

  5. #15
    Inactive Member shedder's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 30th, 2002
    Posts
    533
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    there is a reason why portnoy isn't discussed here on the boards. well, he was mentioned quite a bit on the "most overrated" thread.

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ October 13, 2004 01:12 PM: Message edited by: shedder ]</font>

  6. #16
    Inactive Member FuseU1's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 15th, 2002
    Posts
    3,631
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Wink

    Is Virgil or DiCenso as good as this "Portnoy" guy?

    ...Word has it he can play a mean DB "quad"...in almost everything...

    ...AND...

    I hear he can really 'swing'...

    ...a mean "egg-beater"...or was it rolling pin[?]...
    [img]graemlins/music.gif[/img]

    [Aw, c'mon now, it was JAJ]...
    I KNOW, I know..."if u cant say something nice"...
    ...[then hurl an insult]...
    J/K

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ October 13, 2004 09:05 PM: Message edited by: FuseU1 ]</font>

  7. #17
    Inactive Member jwalent's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 3rd, 2004
    Posts
    9
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Wink

    Re: Could someone please confirm, once and for all, if Dave was Mike Portnoy's teacher at Berklee???

    Dave started teaching at Berklee about Fall of 93 or 94. Portnoy had already been out of Berklee by then.

    When i was there in 92'-93' they had one of the Dream Theater CD's in the glass case by the entrance to the Cafeteria at the 150 Building.

  8. #18
    Inactive Member shedder's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 30th, 2002
    Posts
    533
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    rhythm_kid, what's dave been up to these days? he never updates his site. are you still teching for him? you should tell him to check out this board. HOD would love to have him on here.

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ October 13, 2004 08:25 PM: Message edited by: shedder ]</font>

  9. #19
    Inactive Member Terry B's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 10th, 2004
    Posts
    150
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    MAN! I have always been a fan of Dicenso. That new solo on his website is a trip! He only uses the kick snare hat and ride. Probably a single kick at that! He is playing more intense shit with that than I've heard most do with a zillion drums. GREAT player.

  10. #20
    Inactive Member Terry B's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 10th, 2004
    Posts
    150
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Not to start rumors or anything, but someone once told me that Dave turned down the Alanis Morissette gig. Anyone know about that?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •